Thursday, June 03, 2004

Yesterday couldn't sleep... maybe because today got exam, the more I wanna sleep, the more I couldn't.

Then I was thinking about the income tax assessment mistake and did some calculation and found out most likely it may be the combine income statement of both my wife and me. I couldn't rememeber filing it together with my wife. But according to the calculation, it should be right. After some calculation, realize that we have to pay around $400 just because it's a combine filing, too much... what a silly mistake I've made. I thought combine submission, but assessment seperate. Thank God I wasn't working most of the time last year, so income wasn't so much, else it might be more than $2000 more for income tax calculating from the previous paid I hold.

I was thinking about sending a normal letter since the email I've send didn't return with any reply after around a week. It will goes something like,

"I've realize I've made a silly mistake by combining the income tax submission together with my wife, I'm sorry. Is it possible that you spare my miserable $400 and redo a seperate assessment for me and my wife? Pleaassseee..... I'm sorry for whatever I've done, I'll vote for PAP next time, Oops... I've always voted for PAP... hmm... agh..... well.... "

Praise God, after one week and just the next day after I've thought about this, I receive the email from IRAS as below....

Dear Mr Goh

We refer to your e-mail below.

Our record shows that you had elected for a combined assessment when filing through internet on 13 Mar 2004 for the Year of Assessment 2004. Thus, your wife's income have been assessed under your name. But noting that previous years you had elected for a separate assessment and since it is more beneficial to opt for a separate assessment in your case, we have revised the assessment to give your a separate assessment based on the income earned by yourself only. An original assessment have been raised for wife based on the income earned by her.

The dividend income included in your revised assessment now refers to your dividend income from the Singapore Telcom shares.

The revised Notices of Assessment and Statement of Account would be sent to you shortly.

If you have any clarifications, please contact our Taxpayer Service Officers at 1800-3568 3000.

Thank you for your co-operation.
Yours sincerely
Pungkothai d/o J Kannan (Ms)
Tax Officer
Individual Income Tax Division


Thank God!